THIS IS THE MOST INCREDIBLE RECIPE EVER. Do you hear what I’m telling you???
When I saw this in the movie I had the biggest craving in the entire world. Check it out for yourself. Look at 2:05, press pause, and just admire the lucious tomatoes on top of that crusty buttered bread. It’s just divine!
Anyway, the recipe isn’t in Julia Child’s cookbook, because it’s made by Julie Powell before she starts her project. So the recipe was not available online, but I did find some cooks who decided to do their best at recreating it. The one I found was spot on. Here it is:
4 slices of bread (I used Albertsons french baguette)
2 cups tomatoes (I used Roma) chopped and seeded
1 T plus more extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
1 tsp sea salt
chopped fresh basil
1. Toss tomatoes with 1 T. olive oil and about 1 tsp. sea salt.
2. Rub each side of the bread with olive oil so just covered. Fry bread in skillet, browning on each side.
3. Rub cut half of garlic over 1 side of fried bread.
4. Spoon tomatoes (with oil and accumulated juices) over bread. Top with chopped basil to taste.
5. Eat with plenty of napkins on hand.
Thanks to Hungry Novelist for the recipe.